Conquering the FRM: A Detailed Breakdown of My Part I (1,1,2,2) and Part II (2,2,1,1,1,1) Journey

 

The Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation is widely regarded as the gold standard for risk professionals. However, the journey to earning those four letters is notoriously grueling. It is not just a test of financial knowledge; it is a marathon of endurance, time management, and strategic studying.

When I received my final results for Part II, I felt a wave of relief—not just because I had passed, but because of the specific breakdown of my scores. For Part I, I scored 1,1,2,2. For Part II, I scored 2,2,1,1,1,1.

On the GARP (Global Association of Risk Professionals) scale, a '1' indicates a top-quartile performance, while a '2' indicates a second-quartile performance. To be clear, these are excellent results; they signify a strong understanding of the core concepts without necessarily being "perfect."

But the journey to these scores was not just about memorizing formulas. It was a battle against the sheer volume of material. This article details exactly how I did it: the materials I used, my study methodology, and the time I invested.


The "Why" and the Big Picture

Before diving into the logistics, it is crucial to understand the nature of the beast. The FRM is different from the CFA. The CFA is a mile wide and an inch deep, requiring you to remember a vast array of facts. The FRM, conversely, is an inch wide and a mile deep. It focuses intensely on risk management principles, requiring deep conceptual understanding rather than rote memorization.

Part I is the foundation. It covers the tools used to assess risk: Valuation, Quantitative Analysis, and Financial Markets. It is math-heavy and requires a strong intuition for statistics and options pricing.

Part II is the application. It takes the tools from Part I and applies them to credit risk, operational risk, liquidity risk, and investment management. Part II is significantly more qualitative than Part I. It relies heavily on case studies, Basel accords, and understanding the "why" behind risk management.

My results reflect this dynamic:

  • Part I: I scored a 1 in Foundations and Valuation, but a 2 in Quant and Markets. This suggests I was very strong on theory and pricing, but perhaps a little less agile in the pure math derivations.

  • Part II: My score of 2,2,1,1,1,1 shows a slight weakness in Market Risk (a 2) and Credit Risk (a 2), but top-tier performance in the rest. Considering Credit Risk is the largest section of Part II, this was a "danger zone" that I had to navigate carefully.


Study Materials: Less is More

One of the biggest mistakes FRM candidates make is trying to read too many sources. GARP provides the official books, and while they are comprehensive, they are notoriously dry and overly verbose. Reading them cover-to-cover is a recipe for burnout.

I adopted a "Core + Supplement" strategy:

1. The Core: Schwesser Notes

For both parts, I relied almost exclusively on the Schwesser Notes for my initial learning. The Schwesser material is concise, well-structured, and cuts through the noise. It condenses the 2,000+ pages of GARP text into roughly 500 pages of digestible content.

  • Why it worked: Schwesser focuses on the "examable" content. It highlights formulas and key concepts that GARP is likely to test. It also provides excellent end-of-chapter questions that help cement the material.

  • The Drawback: The notes are highly condensed. There were times when I felt I was memorizing a bullet point without truly understanding the underlying logic. This is a dangerous trap.

2. The Supplement: GARP Books (Selective Reading)

To address the "missing logic," I used the official GARP books as a reference. I did not read them cover to cover. Instead, whenever I encountered a concept in Schwesser that didn't "click" (especially in Quant or Credit Risk), I would go to the official text to read the full context.

  • Why it worked: The GARP text provides excellent case studies and practical examples. For Part II, specifically regarding Operational Risk (which features heavily in the "Current Issues" section), the GARP books are essential.

3. The Glue: AnalystPrep & Schwesser QBank

Reading is passive learning. You will forget 90% of what you read within 48 hours. To move that knowledge to long-term memory, you must do questions.

I used two primary question banks:

  • Schwesser QBank: For the initial "topic-by-topic" testing. This helps you get comfortable with the mechanics of the questions.

  • AnalystPrep: For its deep-dive explanations. AnalystPrep is often harder than the actual exam, but it prepares you for the worst-case scenario.

4. The Secret Weapon: GARP Mock Exams

This is non-negotiable. In the final four weeks before the exam, I took the GARP official practice exams (usually provided in the portal). These are not optional. They are the closest you will get to the actual exam style, specifically regarding the wording of the questions.


Study Methodology: Active vs. Passive

How you study matters more than what you study. I realized early on that trying to highlight a textbook for hours was a waste of time. I shifted to an "Active Recall" methodology.

Phase 1: The "First Pass" (Read and Rough Notes)

  • Duration: 2 months.

  • Action: I read through the Schwesser Notes for one topic per week. For example, Week 1 was Foundations of Risk, Week 2 was Quant, etc.

  • Execution: I took "rough" notes. I didn't focus on making them pretty. I focused on writing down the key formulas and the "aha!" moments where I connected a concept to real-world events (e.g., thinking about the 2008 financial crisis when learning about Credit Risk).

Phase 2: The "Second Pass" (The "Feynman Technique")

This was the game-changer for Part II.

  • Action: I created a massive whiteboard in my study room. For each major topic (e.g., "Copulas" or "Basel 3"), I tried to teach it to an imaginary class without looking at my notes.

  • Execution: If I couldn't explain it simply, I didn't understand it. I would go back to the GARP books to clarify my understanding. This is why I scored 1s in the more qualitative, conceptual sections (Investment Risk and Current Issues) because teaching requires a deep conceptual grasp.

Phase 3: The "Quant Drill" (Part I specific)

Part I is formula-heavy.

  • Action: I created a "Formula Sheet" that was only 5 pages long. I laminated it and carried it with me. I made a rule: I had to write the formula from memory before I could check the sheet.

  • Execution: I did hundreds of quantitative questions. For Part I, my 1s in Valuation and Foundations were secured by brute-force repetition of Black-Scholes, VAR calculations, and bond duration/convexity.

Phase 4: The "Case Study Log" (Part II specific)

Part II is heavy on scenarios.

  • Action: I kept a notebook just for "Failure Cases." I wrote down the details of Barings Bank, Enron, Lehman Brothers, and Long-Term Capital Management.

  • Execution: This was crucial for Operational Risk and Credit Risk. If you know why a bank failed, you know what GARP wants you to prevent. This actually helped me score a 1 in Operational Risk.


Time Spent: The "Minimum Effective Dose"

A common question is, "How many hours do I need?" The standard recommendation is 200–300 hours per part. I tracked my time meticulously.

Part I: ~250 Hours

  • Duration: 4 months (June to October).

  • Weekly Breakdown: 15–17 hours per week.

    • Weekdays: 2 hours per night (7 pm to 9 pm) after work.

    • Weekends: 5 hours per day (10 am to 3 pm) on Saturday and Sunday.

  • Distribution:

    • 40% Reading: Getting through the material.

    • 50% Practice Questions: The QBank.

    • 10% Mock Exams.

Part II: ~280 Hours

  • Duration: 5 months (January to May).

  • Weekly Breakdown: 14 hours per week. (I actually studied less time per week but extended the duration because Part II content is more nuanced).

  • Distribution:

    • 30% Reading: Part II reading is slower because it is more conceptual.

    • 30% Practice Questions.

    • 40% Review and Active Recall: This was much higher for Part II due to the qualitative nature.

The "Burnout" Threshold

I discovered my limit was 4 hours of intense focus per day. Pushing to 5 or 6 hours caused a sharp drop in retention. I prioritized "quality of time" over "quantity of time." I also took one day off entirely (Sunday night) to reset my brain.


The Study Timeline: A Week-by-Week Strategy

Months 1-2 (Foundation)

  • Focus: Part I Quant and Valuation.

  • Strategy: Get the math out of the way. This is the "soul-crushing" part. I focused on understanding the stats (standard deviation, correlation, regression) as the basis for risk. If you don't understand the math in Month 1, you will fail the exam.

Month 3 (Integration)

  • Focus: Financial Markets and Foundations.

  • Strategy: This is where Part I starts to get easier. It’s about understanding how the financial system works. I started doing "composite" questions (e.g., mixing Quant concepts with Market products).

Months 4-5 (Part II Deep Dive)

  • Focus: Credit and Operational Risk.

  • Strategy: This is the "meat" of the FRM. I realized that scoring a 1 in Credit Risk requires knowing the difference between Merton, KMV, and CreditMetrics cold. I focused on the "graphical" interpretation of these models rather than just the formula.

Month 6 (The Final Push/Review)

  • Focus: "Current Issues" and Mocks.

  • Strategy: For the final month, I stopped reading new material. I only did Mock Exams.

  • The Mock Exam Routine:

    • Saturday: Take the mock exam (4 hours) under exam conditions (no phone, no music).

    • Sunday: Grade the exam. I did not just look at the score. I looked at why I got the question wrong. Was it a calculation error? A reading comprehension error? A concept gap?

    • I tracked my errors in a spreadsheet. I categorized them. In the final week, I only reviewed my "concept gaps" and memorized the "Current Issues" section (which is largely rote memory).


Key Takeaways for Future Candidates

Based on my results (1,1,2,2 and 2,2,1,1,1,1), here is my specific advice for tackling the FRM:

1. Respect the "2s" as much as the "1s"

I scored a 2 in Part I Quant. Honestly, I didn't expect a 1. The math is hard. My advice: Don't obsess over the hard derivations. GARP tests your ability to apply the formula, not derive it. In Part I, I spent too much time on the calculus of VAR and not enough time on the interpretation. I got a 2. Learn from that.

2. For Part II, "Read the Case Studies"

The difference between a 2 and a 1 in Credit and Operational Risk often comes down to whether you understood the real-world application. The GARP curriculum is filled with references to the 2008 crisis. Read those sections in the official text. They are fascinating and highly examinable.

3. The "Current Issues" Section (Part II)

This is free points. It is about ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance), Climate Risk, and Machine Learning. I scored a 1 here.

  • Strategy: I created a summary sheet of the 10-15 "Current Issues" articles. I read these summaries every morning for the 30 days leading up to the exam. This is entirely rote memorization, but it's a guaranteed score booster.

4. Time Management in the Exam

The FRM exam is a marathon. Part II has 80 questions in 4 hours. You have roughly 3 minutes per question.

  • My rule: If I didn't know the answer to a question within 60 seconds, I flagged it, guessed, and moved on.

  • Why? You will likely face a few "impossible" questions. Do not let them derail your rhythm. Secure the easy points (which are usually the conceptual questions) and return to the hard math if time permits.


Final Verdict

Passing the FRM is as much about emotional resilience as it is about intellectual capability. There will be days when you read a page five times and still don't understand it. That is normal.

My scores (Part I: 1,1,2,2 and Part II: 2,2,1,1,1,1) represent a balanced approach. I prioritized understanding the "why" over the "how," and I used active recall to ensure the information stuck.

If I were to distill my entire experience into three rules, they would be:

  1. Do Questions, Not Just Reading: You learn the most by getting questions wrong.

  2. Teach to Learn: If you can explain "Sovereign Risk" to a non-finance friend, you understand it well enough for GARP.

  3. Trust the Process: The material is dense, but it is finite. Commit to 2-3 hours a day, and you will eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck. The FRM is worth the effort. It changed the way I view financial markets fundamentally, and it will do the same for you.

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hunt for the Perfect Etoupe K28 is Officially Over

The Silent Biography: What Your Eyes Jump to First When Spotting a Stranger’s Bag

The End of the Hunt: Finding My Perfect Etoupe K28